Friday, July 22, 2011

Ready for Fall

I have really enjoyed my summer. It's the first time in three years I haven't spent the summer looking for a job. But, after my trip to the beach Sunday, I may just be ready for fall. Three reasons- a routine, cooler weather, and football.

The first few weeks of summer I found myself still waking up around 7AM. Just after the 4th of July I became an expert sleeper. I even found myself lying in bed at noon! So lazy I know, but I think I needed it. It's unfortunate too because the last couple weeks of the school year I was doing really well getting up and running before work. As I've been saying, there's really no use in getting up early because it's the same temperature at 5AM as it is at 8AM, and even with the darkness there is no relief in humidity. I have been taking a class for grad school this summer and really enjoying it, and babysitting every now and then, and I'm not saying I'm bored, but I'm ready for a bit more of a routine. I don't know if I'm ready for a new school year, or new set of kids yet, but I think in a month I will definitely be excited. It's going to be my second year of teaching and I feel so much more confident with a year of experience. I almost, ALMOST, get excited talking about it now. But I will also very gladly enjoy the rest of my summer.

I can't stress this enough- I need cooler weather. The only place that feels good is my apartment and, believe it or not, the yoga studio. I went to Starbucks two days ago and the ice in my iced coffee melted before I could enjoy it. And, I was inside! Unfortunately for the baristas the A/C was not working well. I had run 7 and a half miles that morning and was still trying to cool off. The lack of A/C in Starbucks did not help. Yoga yesterday was magnificent. 85 degrees inside felt SO much better than being outside. I sweat like crazy and am super sore, but it's the best. I tried to workout on the elliptical at the gym today. The problem is there are huge windows behind the row of ellipticals. I was sweating profusely 8 minutes into it, I guess from the sun and heat coming into the building.  Needless to say I only lasted about 15 minutes which is pathetic. I moved to the bike and then did weights along with my planks. If you are on Twitter you need to join #PlankADay. It's a really fun challenge and you post when you do planks and for how long. The group has grown to over 100 people and the "plank police" as they like to call themselves will call you out if you miss a day.  Anyways, I really cannot wait for fall weather. It is truly the runner's season. I am running the half in Atlanta on Thanksgiving Day. I decided to really dedicate myself to training and I'm excited about how soon it starts. 12 weeks out means training starts September 5th. I'm using one of Bart Yasso's training plans I read in his book My Life on the Run. I haven't trained for a run since my marathon in March and I can tell. Running is becoming more difficult but I know it will get better the more I make myself do it. I cannot make myself do it in 100 degree weather...

Lastly, I cannot wait for football. College football. I know my blog is supposed to be about teaching and running, but if you know me at all, you know I can't leave out my favorite sport. I'll wait to express my favorite team, my alma mater, until closer to the season opener. I just found out I have a ticket to the game and I can't wait to see my team play! I just really, really hope we're good this year. My mood is severely affected August-December by the performance of my team. Since fall is such a significant training time I also have to plan my runs around the schedule. The past couple of years I have really enjoyed what I call my Gameday Runs. I get up Saturday morning, text my best friends "It's GAMEDAY!!!," and get some miles in while listening to my school's fight song on my iPod. I get VERY pumped up!

27 days until I'm back at work, 43 days until kickoff, hopefully not eternity until cool weather...

No comments:

Post a Comment