Sunday, April 8, 2012

Spring Break: Like a Fine Wine It Only Gets Better with Age

One of my friends threw that title at me a couple weeks ago. I love it.
What a great week it has been. So sad it's come to an end, but only a couple more months of school! Of course, I am excited to see the kids. I can't wait to hear about their break and tell them about my trip.

After SoulCycle Thursday I decided to head over to Brooklyn. I'm contemplating living in the area and had never been so figured I'd give it a look. I really had no idea where I was going, but I hear people live in Williamsburg, so I just took the metro to Williamsburg. I ended up not really seeing much there, because I had no idea where to go, so I walked along the water all the way to downtown Brooklyn. Yes, this is far, but there were no cabs inside and it was nice out, so it wasn't a bad walk. By point of reference in Brooklyn was Grimaldi's Pizzeria. I've heard about it from a lot of people so figured I would grab a slice for lunch. I had no idea I'd have to buy a whole pie, nor did I realize how ridiculously long the line would be, so I decided against waiting for the pizza.



I did get some photos of Manhattan and the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges. It is a beautiful view of the city.

I headed back to Manhattan, of course stopped for lunch at City Bakery, and then wandered around the city a bit. Again, this is just my favorite thing to do. I wish I could do it as a profession. Professional Walker in Manhattan.


Empire State Building. I went to the top a few years ago, but enjoyed avoiding touristy areas this trip.



This is Washington Square. Such a cool are near NYU between Union Square/ Flat Iron district and SoHo. It was slammed on Thursday afternoon and this guy was doing a juggling and acrobatic act. He lined up these four people and flipped over them. The squares remind me of Europe, and I love that.

I really didn't want Thursday to end. It meant I had less than a day left on my trip.  Even though we had done SoulCycle that morning, Alli and I decided to hit up a yoga class Thursday night. Note to self: I really will have to work on my time management when I move. As of now I'm about 6 minutes late everywhere I go. In New York that would be at least twenty minutes. I learned this when trying to get a cab at 6PM to get to a 6:30PM yoga class. This was not easy. I had to walk/run towards the right part of town and keep an eye out for a cab. I somehow made it to Laughing Lotus and I am so happy I did. It was an incredible class.


This is the studio where we practiced. Yes it is a screen shot from my phone, from their website. I didn't have my phone when I was there to take a photo. It was an hour and a half Level 2/3 class. I have never actually taken a harder level class. It was very doable but very challenging. My favorite part was when we were in Warrior III and I was able to gaze out the window down to 6th Avenue. Amazing!
After class we enjoyed my final dinner of pizza and beer. It was all just delicious. I still didn't want to go to bed when we got home, but I was exhausted and I crashed.

I woke up Friday morning so sad to leave! I was out of the house by 9:30 with about 6 hours to enjoy before my flight. I decided to walk down to Ground Zero and check out the new buildings and museum there. I was recommended to go by Kaffe 1668 for a cup of coffee, some of the best in town. It was a quaint but busy cafe and yes the coffee was absolutely delicious. No milk or sugar or anything needed. 


Check it out if you can, or at least look at the website. It has some pretty funny little photos and sayings.

I'm not sure why this didn't occur to me, but unfortunately, without a ticket, I couldn't see much around Ground Zero. It was interesting to go back though as I hadn't been since 2002. A lot had changed. The number of people around was insane. It made me sad that all these people came because of this tragic event, but I guess that's the same with most memorials.


One World Trade Center. 1,776 feet when it is completed. I think the goal there is 2013. I do hope to be able to tour it, the museum, and memorials at some point.

To avoid the crowds I headed down to Battery Park, though there were just as many people down there. It was gorgeous though.  A great bike and running path all along the Hudson. The wind made it very chilly, but I enjoyed it and even jogged a little.


SO many people in line to go to the Statue of Liberty. I don't know if I'll ever get closer than this, and I'm ok with that. It's got to be a cold boat ride.

I took one more trip by the bakery for my last shot of hot chocolate, mmm so good, then jumped in a cab for a long ride to the airport. So sad to leave but so stinking excited for my return!!!



I can't wait to use this again soon!

And then it was Easter. It's been a fantastic last day of Spring Break, but I still can't believe it's over. Church this morning was followed by yoga and brunch.


Mmm. No I didn't cook this.



It was gorgeous outside so a few of us hiked up Crowders Mountain. If you live in Charlotte and have never down this, you need to! If you look really hard to the right of the tree you can see the Charlotte skyline. It's no New York, it sure is little, but it's there!

No comments:

Post a Comment