Wednesday, August 17, 2011

"God Made Sand"

I've been meaning to write about this for a few weeks now. It's something that I'm aware is controversial, so take it as you'd like...

I was babysitting my favorite little buddy last week.  We went to the local pool to get in one last swim before I had to go back to work.  The time we spend in the car together is always some of my favorite. He randomly tells me stories or asks me questions. Today we were talking about our early summer beach trip and his trip to see his grandparents. He told me about swimming at the pool in his grandparent's neighborhood in Atlanta. Then he began to tell me about the sand at their pool in Atlanta. I decided maybe there was a volleyball court or sandbox around. One would think he was confused with the pool at the beach, but this kid is brilliant and always knows what he's talking about, so I have no choice but to believe him.  So I asked, "Where was the sand? Where did it come from?" I love asking him questions as he always gives fabulous answers. His answer to this, though, was truly great. "Well, God makes everything so, God made the sand." It was the sweetest thing I had ever heard. The conversation continued with me asking more questions. "Well OK, but where is God?" His response, "He lives way up in the sky. You can't go there til you die." He struggled trying to remember the name of where God lives. I gave him the clue that it started with an "H" and he got it, "Heaven! That's where you go to be with God when you die." This was just so sweet. So simply put from an "almost four year old." It's as simple as that. God made everything and you get to meet him one day in heaven. Children seem to understand this so well and completely accept it. They do not question it, they have no reason to, that's just it. The conversation went on as he described more things that God made and I asked him what he thought heaven would be like. He said he didn't know (again so honest) and I just told him that I don't know either but I heard it's a really cool place.

This conversation between my best three, almost four, year old friend and I was also relevant because of something I've recently viewed on TV. I really don't want this post to be seen as less passionate because I mention TV by the way. It was on the Discovery Channel and their new series Curiosity. It is a cool show much like everything else on that channel. But a few days prior to my conversation above, the episode was on the Big Bang Theory. Now, I'm all for science and some explanation that can make sense. I know people will never agree on what happened. I believe God did create everything, and who knows maybe he made the "Big Bang" happen. This show very scientifically explained how it all took place, down to each individual atom. It was very complicated, yet made a lot of sense. Even more fascinating to watch, the narrator of the show was a man, paralyzed in a wheelchair, talking through a robotic voice box. The most interesting part was the last three sentences of the show. After a very confusing, way too complex conversation about what time really is: "So time did not exist before the world existed. Therefore, there was no time for God to create the world. Therefore, there is no God."  Really?! That's it! Just like that you can write off the idea? It was rather outrageous to make such a bold statement and just end the show. But again, it's TV, people think what they want to think and have varying opinions of this. I am NOT trying to change anyone's opinion, or tell anyone they are wrong. We each believe what we believe. But, it's pretty phenomenal to have a simple conversation on such a controversial topic with someone who hasn't been alive for four years. And to have that four year old explain it so simply, no questions asked.

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" Genesis 1:1

Lastly, God loves us runners :-) ...They will soar like wings on Eagles, they will RUN and not grow weary, then will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31

No comments:

Post a Comment