Monday, November 28, 2011

"I'm Possible" ABDC- help my kiddos!

This school year we have thirty minutes a day for what we call "Healthy Choices" time. The times rotate per day from outside time, to silent reading, to character education. In my opinion, all three of these are much needed by any middle school student. Today we had character ed, and we were focusing on this month's trait of Honesty. As a class, we chose one student who best represented this trait. After the class nominated seven students (out of the eighteen total) I had them put their heads down and vote. Each student was allowed to vote twice so more votes would be in the mix, and I hoped this would prevent a tie. It was a pretty unanimous decision for the class on who best showed Honesty. I was really excited this student won, because I would have picked him too. He's a wonderful child.

After that I was at a loss of what to do next. We had already written poems about honesty, and discussed and even acted out situations where honesty is most important. One of my students loves to act and sing and dance. He approached the class today with getting a crew together for American's Best Dance Crew. I've heard of the show but never really watched it. While 6th graders dreaming of being on this show sounds a little crazy, I ended up letting them put a group together and even practice some dance moves. I was very impressed with how much they REALLY want to do this. They came up with a pretty awesome group name (I'm keeping it a secret) and I was shocked and excited when we realized they were old enough to audition. I even got online for them to see when/where/how to signup and I couldn't find it anywhere. I told them I'd work on it tonight but I've had no luck. Does anyone have any idea how I could find this?? It would be fun to do something as easy as send in an audition tape. The kids are very passionate about this, so I'd love to help them live out their dreams :-)

Leaving with this quote that was on one of my teacher friend's board today. I really love it and can't believe I've never realized this before...

Nothing is impossible. The word itself says "I'm possible." 
- Audrey Hepburn

No comments:

Post a Comment